- If anybody can make the Bevo Mill a successful food/drink venue, Paul and Wendy Hamilton can. Here’s hoping their bid for redevelopment and operation of the Gravois landmark is the one chosen by the LCRA. Click HERE for the stltoday.com story.
- My wife wanted pancakes so we went to Cracker Barrel. Was surprised when we visited to see a poster for R & B singer Anthony Hamilton’s latest album. The chain usually does such promotions only with country artists. Click HERE for the media release re the Hamilton deal. (BTW, she liked her pancakes.)
- On my first night in St. Louis for my new job in 1988 I went to Hacienda on Manchester in Rock Hill for a brew and a bite. Since then, Hacienda has thrived as a major party venue (especially after they expanded their patio). They’ll be hosting a huge Cinco de Mayo event next Thursday. Lunch begins at 11:00 a.m. A DJ begins spinning at 1:00 p.m, then live performers Perry Woods (2:30 p.m.) and Dirty Mugs (5:00 p.m.) take over. NO COVER CHARGE! Click HERE for full info, including details about remote parking/shuttle bus service.
- Among the many spots offering Mother’s Day buffets (Sunday, May 8) are the Four Seasons Hotel, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (79/person); the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (89/person); the A-B Biergarten, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (25/person); Moulin, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (32.99/person); Riverbend, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (order from menu.) For this busy dining day, it’s best to make advance reservations.
- Editorial comment: If your barbecue (pulled pork, especially) is superior, it’s not necessary to drench it with sauce. If it’s not quite up to par, then slather away and drown the meat.
- The first Sauce Magazine Food Truck Friday of 2016 happens on Friday, May 13 at Tower Grove Park. Details HERE.
- The 4th Annual St. Louis Cigar Box Guitar Festival (an event I am helping promote) is set for Saturday, June 4, noon to 6:00 p.m. at Highway 61 Roadhouse in Webster Groves. Click HERE for the CBG Fest’s Facebook page.
- Below is a photo of the scallops appetizer my wife enjoyed at Pearl’s Oyster Bar at Ameristar Casino in St. Charles. One of many tasty items on their menu.